Netflix Enlists David Spade, Fortune Feimster, and London Hughes for “Netflix After Party”, an After-Show for All of Netflix
For the last several years, Netflix has aimed to show its dominance over traditional TV networks by often doing things on a much larger scale than any broadcast or cable network could or would. The announcement of Netflix After Party is definitely such a move as Netflix is setting the table to have a companion after-show for not just a single show, but rather the entire streaming service.
Also, the streaming behemoth will be employing comedians, specifically David Spade, Fortune Feimster, and London Hughes (this is pretty much her intro to the U.S. hailing from the U.K.) as hosts that will riff on the boat loads of content that Netflix releases every single week across the globe. We have no doubt that other comedians as well as the typical collection of cast members, writers, etc. will be guests on the show to dish about whatever’s most popular on Netflix (i.e. it’d be The Queen’s Gambit if the show were on right now).
It has been a minute since a full-fledged after-show was introduced (minus that comedians-making-fun-of-House Hunters series that got produced at the beginning of quarantine). There have been plenty of companion podcasts as producing audio remotely is plenty safe and so much easier to pull off than an entire TV series production. However, The Netflix After Party is set to get going in 2021 when, maybe, perhaps, there might just be a vaccine and it might be an easier series to produce.
With Biden in office by that point, we’re intrigued to see if people will be more game to see comedians to make fun of TV and movies as the election, pandemic, and the cultural uprising has dominated the zeitgeist for most of 2020.
Pick of the Day: Your Late Night Show Tonight with Drew Droege 7/10
Your Late Night Show Tonight, the monthly late night show that gets cleverly reshaped by each one of their great guest hosts, is back again with beloved comedian/writer/actor Drew Droege set as host. Droege has honed his comedy through almost every discipline and dazzled us with his solo show/play Happy Birthday Doug where he played so many troublesome guests at a birthday party all by himself.
Droege, along with the Your Late Night Show Tonight team, will dream up a wondrous new late night show, exactly how Drew would like it to be, that will be live-streamed at The Pack Theater’s Twitch Channel, and will feature a very special guest in comedian Fortune Feimster.
Your Late Night Show Tonight with Drew Droege is set for July 10th at 10:30PM PT/1:30AM ET, again, at The Pack Theater’s Twitch Channel. You can watch for FREE and donations will be accepted.
JFL Northwest 2017 Announces Line-Up with Sarah Silverman, Trevor Noah, Tom Segura, My Favorite Murder, Jon Dore, Barry Crimmins
If you’re in Vancouver in February, you would be doing yourself a big favor by going to JFL Northwest.
Just look at that line-up stacked with some of the best from around the country as well as local to Vancouver.
Tickets go on sale at 10AM PST this Friday, December 2nd right here.
New Orleans’ Hell Yes Fest 2016 Announces Headliners
If you’re in, around, or near New Orleans, the Hell Yes Fest is an annual comedy happening that you shouldn’t miss.
For this year, Hell Yes Fest is running from Friday, October 7th-Sunday, October 16th and will have:
Get more details and tickets here.
Fortune Feimster Chronicles Her Life as a Lesbian on ‘Late Night’
This will be a benefit for The Hillary [Clinton] Victory Fund at the Theatre at the Ace Hotel in Downtown LA next week on Thursday, April 28th at 8PM.
Fortune Feimster Upped to Series Regular on “The Mindy Project”
We’re glad that The Mindy Project has stuck around and given Fortune Feimster a permanent role.
Having had a recurring role as Nurse Colette Kimball in the fourth season of The Mindy Project, the very funny Fortune has gotten bumped up to a series regular, which we’re all for.
Now that they’re a season in at Hulu, we’re excited to see what else The Mindy Project has in store with a little more freedom.
Watch James Adomian and Drew Droege’s BiPartisan Presidential Debate Live from UCB
In real life or in parody, you’re probably not going to get a better bipartisan presidential debate than this one recorded live at UCB Franklin this week. It was put on by the amazing James Adomian and Drew Droege, appropriately called Decision Election 2016 All-Star Clusterf*ck with:
James Adomian as Sen. Bernie Sanders
Drew Droege as Carly Fiorina
Heather Anne Campbell as Sec. Hillary Clinton
Seth Morris as Gov. Lincoln Chafee
Fortune Feimster as Donald Trump
Ian Karmel as Gov. Chris Christie
Ryan Perez as Sen. Ted Cruz
Chris Schleicher as Gov. Martin O’Malley
Daniel Van Kirk as Gov. Jeb Bush
Jerry Minor as Dr. Ben Carson
Mike Still as Gov. Mike Huckabee
Veronica Osorio as Sen. Marco Rubio
Neil Casey as moderator
If you’re feeling conflicted about watching SNL tonight because of Trump, watching this will more than make up for it.
ABC Orders Pilots For Fortune Feimster and Jermaine Fowler Comedies
The pilot season is ramping up and networks are really trying to figure out their new game plan with comedy, especially after last season’s cancellation bloodbath.
Having them make it out of development, we think ABC is doing well to move forward with the semi-autobiographical sitcoms based on the lives of Fortune Feimster and Jermaine Fowler. Respectively, they’re called Family Fortune and Delores and Jermaine.
They’ll be two in a crowded field of several pilots that are now in contention at ABC. Both pilots are multi-camera projects and we can only hope that they steer clear of what happened to Mulaney.
ABC Makes Script Commitment for Fortune Feimster Comedy From Tina Fey, Robert Carlock, and Matt Hubbard
(via The Hollywood Reporter)
Fortune Feimster is not only getting to develop a series based on her life, but she is getting to do so with the likes of of Tina Fey, Robert Carlock, and Matt Hubbard.
ABC has made a script commitment to the project, which is currently untitled, and has added one of the more intriguing comedies to their development slate ahead of this upcoming pilot season in addition to their other semi-autobiographical comedian series with Jermaine Fowler.
Morning Debriefing 7/21/11
1) WTF! w/Marc Maron IS GOING TO BE ON THE TERRESTRIAL AIRWAVES!!! KCRW 89.9FM THIS SUNDAY 11AM!!! (Yes, we are indeed shouting this bit of news)
2) On the small screen tonight, there’s of course Louie on FX 10:30PM, but there’s also, of course, the Green Room w/Paul Provenza on Showtime 11PM, and Nate Bargatze on Conan on TBS 11PM, but let’s not forget the PREMIERE of NTSF:SD:SUV on Adult Swim 12:15AM (which is technically tomorrow morning, but who really buys into that)
5) Yesterday’s best hashtag game on Twitter was possible names for a Chris Brown inspired romantic comedy: #chrisbrownromcom
“@dubouchet-Shut The Fuck Up Bitch! Met Sally”-Andrés Du Bouchet
“@kevingchristy-Don’t Say Anything”-Kevin Christy
“@shanenickerson-He’s Just Not That Into Punching You. Just Kidding, He Is.”-Shane Nickerson
“@stvschndr-I Think I Love My Wife (Dead)”-Steve Schnieder
“@remainchampagne Something’s Gotta Give (Like Her Jaw)”-Matt Champagne
9) People believe in comedy-even if the show’s double booked and you have to get chairs from business in the immediate area and do it on the roof, people believe in it and here’s photographic proof from Ahm Mingus when weekly live comedy show Holy Fuck had to do exactly that..
10) The Compatish and Chubby Bunny-Grown men, stuffing marshmallows in their mouth, and trying to say Chubby Bunny (just in case you were wondering…)
12) ON THE HORIZON
Todd Glass Taping @ El Rey Sat Aug. 7th 7PM/10PM $27
13) COMEDY CRAWL
The Super Serious Show 1 Year Anniversary @ Smashbox Studios 7PM $15
Charlyne Yi & Dave Horowitz Present: We Don’t Know @ UCB Theatre 8PM $5
The Imaginary Radio Program @ Nerdist Theater 8PM $10
Bill Burr @ Irvine Improv 8PM $25/2 item min.
The Josh & Josh Show @ Bar Lubitsch 8:30PM FREE
The 3rd Annual High School Talent Show @ Hot House 9PM FREE (invitation only)
Mapping the Heavens @ UCB Theatre 9:30PM $5 (stand by only)
Live at Carnegie Hall* @ Hollywood Hotel 10:30PM FREE
14) OPEN MIC RUN
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA 6PM/$4 minimum/first come, first served
ZAPATA VIVE 101 S. First Ave., Arcadia, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/20 spots available/5 min.
COFEE BEAN 16101 Ventura Blvd., Encino, CA, Suite 180/Starts 7PM/mixed mic/no purchase necessary
SANDWICH SPOT 3101 Ocean Park Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served
CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served/10 min.
SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min.
CAFE UNURBAN 3301 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 9PM/No purchase necessary
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel, past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served/coffee and bottled water available
15) It’s funny how we give advice about performing comedy here at the end of Morning Debriefing sometimes (yesterday) and then someone tries to disprove it and then fails miserably (also, yesterday). It’s hilarious.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau
Morning Debriefing 10/28/10
1) Despite showing up late, Beer in the Shower @ White Horse Inn Cocktail Lounge, catching Nick Vatterott and Jerry Rocha w/host Paul Danke was THE WAY to close out a Wednesday night especially if someone said about everything you’ve written a few hours earlier, “I don’t understand any of your fuckin’ shit, man. What the hell is going on your head? I can tell you don’t sleep. You should sleep and stop writing.” If only I skipped my screenwriter’s group, I would have caught the hilarity of Shawn Pearlman, Eddie Pepitone, and Fortune Feimster. Catch Beer in the Shower every Wednesday, 10PM @ White Horse.
2) Just because its miles outside of LA proper, doesn’t mean that there’s nothing funny about Long Beach. Comedians Chris Adams and Jerry Brandt prove that in spades and THEN SOME with their weekly podcast Drinking Buddies. This week, longtime LA comedy vet Don Barris and the hilarious Tim Babb talk everything from comedy to Disneyland to rape and, of course, drinking. See how everything connects here.
3) “Jesse Miller. Straight up.” –Andre Hyland. Every few weeks at the AMAZING Anna Lee Lawson Comedy Hour @ The Next Stage Theatre, Andre Hyland transforms into Jesse Miller and takes over with the Jesse Miller Talk Show (next one’s in November). Check out Jesse on a Trikke. Again, it’s straight up.
4) From the World Famous Comedy Garage, quintessential hipster LA comedian Paul Danke gives you some advice on Halloween costumes so you don’t look totally lame, unless you’re being ironic, well, then, you know what I mean…. Check it on Funny or Die here.
5) There will be a brand new open mic in town at Señor Fish in Little Tokyo starting Nov. 9th. Happy hour w/$3 beers & $2 fish tacos and more details coming soon.
THE COMEDY BUREAU