Morning Debriefing 3/2/11
1) Remember when I said there will be something posted HERE in March? Well, it’s March and later today you’ll find out what I was legally obligated to keep under wraps until now. HINT: Pretty much all comedy competitions are a waste of time.
3) Have a short/sketch/viral video? Why not enter it in Burbank Film Festival’s Comedy Short Contest?
4) ON THE HORIZON
The Paul F Tompkins Show 9 Year Anniversary @ Largo Sat. Mar. 19th 8:30PM $25 (There’s still tickets for some reason)
Birthday Roast of Tess Barker @ Whitehorse Cocktail Lounge Inn Wed. Mar. 23rd 8:30PM FREE
A Great and Terrible Thing @ Hollywood Improv Lab Tues. Mar. 29th 10:30PM $5
5) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL
Maria Bamford’s Singalong and Comedy Show @ Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock 8PM $5 suggested donation
Birds of Prey @ Comedy Central Stages 8PM FREE
The Fix-Up Show @ ACME Comedy Theatre 8PM $12
Matt Kirshen & Dwayne Perkins @ Irvine Improv 8PM $17/2 item min.
Meltdown @ Meltdown Comics 8:30PM $8
Frolic @ Far Bar 9PM FREE
Comedy Night @ Westside Bar & Grill 9PM FREE
The Ed Galvez Punk House @ Westside Comedy Theatre 9PM $8
Beer in the Shower @ Whitehorse Cocktail Lounge Inn 9:30PM FREE
Anna Lee Lawson Comedy Hour @ Next Stage Theatre 11PM $5
6) OPEN MIC RUN
THE SPOT CAFE 4455 Overland Ave., Culver City, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 7PM
CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 7PM/Starts 7:30PM
CAFE MUSE 6547 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 8PM
LIBRARY A COFFEEHOUSE 3418 E. Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 8PM/Starts 8:30PM
7) It’s a rare occurrence as I’m actually feeling pretty good. Such is the life of a comedian/comedy journalist/blogger/insomniac…
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau
BIRDS OF PREY at COMEDY CENTRAL STAGE
tomorrow ~ wednesday ~ march 3rd ~ 8pm
6539 santa monica blvd ~ hollywood ~ 90038
susan burke ~ lizzy cooperman ~ emily maya mills
directed by joe wagner ~ photo by heather landis
reservations: (323) 960-5519
EVERYONE GO TO THIS PLEASE!!!
Morning Debriefing 2/3/11
2) Eagleheart. BOOM. The Return of Chris Elliot/Rise of Chris Monsanto. BOOM Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. BOOM. Midnight. BOOM Watch it. BOOM. OR. YOU. WILL. BE. PUNCHED. (metaphorically) (boom)-my text only version of an Eagleheart Promo. Seriously, watch it.
3) Just in case you forgot about the Bridgetown Comedy Festival, they’re accepting submissions until 2/28. The Comedy Bureau will keep you updated all the way along as a significant portion of you will probably forget to submit before the deadline.
4) OK. The amazing laugh riot of a sketch group the Birds of Prey are having a free show at the Comedy Central Stages on March 2nd. Call (323) 960-5519 for reservations because they will be packed out and you will get to witness the genius that is Lizzy Cooperman, Susan Burke, and Emily Maya Mills directed by Joe Wagner.
5) Jamie Kilstein on Conan. Whether you missed it or actually watched it or saw it live…. you should probably watch it again at the link above.
6) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL-No, it’s YOUR fault if you can’t make all of these
Stand Up Spotlight @ UCB Theatre 7PM $5
This Is Not Happening: Take This Job and Shove It @ Hollywood Improv 8PM $5/2 item min.
Literally Funny @ The Last Bookstore 8PM FREE
Comedy Speakeasy @ TSR Lounge 8PM FREE
The Josh and Josh Show: Lopez Presents Showcase @ Bar Lubitsch 8:30PM FREE
Mustaches & Mai Tais @ The Palace Restaurant 9PM
How to Live with Chelsea Peretti @ UCB Theatre 9:30PM $5
Improv’s Finest @ Hollywood Improv 10PM $14/2 item min.
Live at Carnegie Hall* @ Hollywood Hotel 10PM FREE
7) OPEN MIC RUN 2/3/11 (if you have any suggestions about improvements of this feature, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
9) Not going to lie, feeling good right now, which may be bad for business, but I’m feeling good.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau
Morning Debriefing 1/28/11
1) THE BIRDS OF PREY (@birdladies or @lizzycooperman @thatsusanburke @emilymayamills) MADE IT INTO FHM!! Their sketch “Suicide Girls Suicide Hotline” is actually posted on the site! DON’T BELIEVE ME? Oh yeah, it’s f’n knee slapping hilarious too.
4) Chelsea Peretti’s Comedy Central Special airs tonight 11PM meaning that you should watch it. Seriously, I’m not kidding. I’m sure it will replay several times, but you should watch it when it first airs because it is THAT MUCH MORE SPECIAL.
5) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL-It’s manageable, which gives you even less of an excuse
Just for Laughs Showcase @ Hollywood Improv Lab 7:30PM FREE
Comedy Car Hole @ Comedy Car Hole 9PM FREE
Just for Laughs Showcase @ Fake Gallery 10PM $5
Stood Up Friday Night @ Moving Arts Theatre 10PM $5
7) Recently: There is revolution afoot in Egypt and somehow Donald Sutherland and 9 other non related topics are trending instead on Yahoo. Hmmm……
8) 100th day of the Comedy Bureau still under deliberation…. Details will follow soon.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau
Tip of the Hat 1/21: Joe Wagner
The Comedy Bureau “Tips Its Hat” this week to JOE WAGNER:
“@joeywags Twitter is like sending messages in a bottle. In a public pool.”
If you’ve ingratiated yourself into the Los Angeles comedy scene to any degree, chances are that you’ve seen Joe Wagner much like he’s depicted above, passing through, seemingly coming and going everywhere. This phenomenon has much to do with the fact that Joe has made himself an integral part of LA comedy through writing, producing, directing and performing sketch and stand-up for almost 20 years (working with the likes of Comedy Central, MTV, Spike, and E!).
Thus, you can catch Joe in Zach Galifianakis’ “Live at the Purple Onion” as well as spouting brilliance from off the top of his head (upon which there is a torn red ladies’ sun hat) on the second floor of strip mall in a theatre that can seat about 30 people maximum on a late Tuesday night. Both experiences are equally worthy of your attention as Joe is both incredibly aware and committed to such a degree that has kept me in awe-struck surprise whilst laughing at every turn.
Even when he is making fun of my little sister, which I asked him not to do, I laughed until it hurt.
Currently, Joe Wagner directs the fantastic monthly sketch show at the UCB LA Theatre “The Midnight Show” as well as the brilliant sketch group, The Birds of Prey (2010 Punchlist Best Sketch Group), and performs stand up when he feels like gracing us with his comedic prowess. If you’re not following him on Twitter (@joeywags) or Facebook, fix that as soon as you reach the end of this sentence.
Post Brunch Update 12/1/10
1) The Walsh Brothers Show @ UCB Theatre showed how beautiful the concept of a prank could really be. Whether telling stories that are acted out in dazzling fashion of “pranks” being pulled on them or having guest performers pull “pranks” on the entire audience or enacting “The Popcorn Trick”, one never gets a feeling of ill will towards Chris and David Walsh, but, instead, just simply has a spirited fun time. Without tipping off too much, The Walsh Brothers offered an absolutely superb variety of acts ranging from hilarious sketches featuring themselves James Patterson reading letters to Billionaires and their subsequent responses to the amazing Tony Sam as Electroface, an insecure pro-wrestler, to even an amazing part of the show just called ‘Personal Disco’. Though some of The Walsh Brothers act may seem incredibly goofy at the beginning, Chris and David maintain such a great balance of commitment/fearlessness throughout whatever they’re doing on stage that keeps the audience engaged to the end, which is actually quite genius. If you really want to see what I’m talking about, the Walsh Brothers Show takes places frequently at the UCB Theatre and the Walsh Brothers themselves perform all around LA, so check back at the Comedy Bureau for details on upcoming shows.
2) BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO CAME OUT TO BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE TOKYO OPEN MIC LAST NIGHT!! IT WAS SO FANTASTIC WITH RYAN STOUT ACTUALLY COMING DOWN AND ACTUALLY GETTING AN APPLAUSE BREAK THAT IT NECESSITATES ME TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!! DON’T MISS IT NEXT TUESDAY @ SEÑOR FISH, 422 E. 1ST ST. SIGN-UP 6:30PM/STARTS 7PM.
3) I know that already just eye-balling this tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL, you might feel intimidated, but I’m just going to go ahead and say DEAL WITH IT!!! All these shows are going to be a damn good time and should not be missed. Start off with Birds of Prey @ Steve Allen Theater (awesome video promo) 8PM $5, then Frolic @ Barbarella Bar 8PM FREE, then “If This Doesn’t Work Out I’m Moving Home” A Variety Hour @ Harlem Place Cafe 8PM FREE, Maria Bamford’s Eagle Rock Singalong and Comedy Show @ Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock 8PM $5 suggested donation, then You’ve Seen These Guys @ The Brea Improv 8PM $15/2 item min., then The Meltdown @ Meltdown Comics 8:30PM $8, then The Ed Galvez Punk House @ Westside Comedy Theater 9PM $8, then Beer in the Shower @ Whitehorse Cocktail Lounge Inn 9:30PM FREE, then Comedy Juice @ Hollywood Improv 10PM $14/2 item min., then Fresh Faces @ Hollywood Laugh Factory 10PM $20/2 drink min., then finish STRONG with the Anna Lee Lawson Comedy Hour @ The Next Stage Theatre 11PM $5.
4) OPEN MIC RUN: HOLLYWOOD STUDIO BAR & GRILL 6122 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up 5:30PM/Starts 6PM, THE SPOT CAFE 4455 Overland Ave., Culver City, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 7PM, THE LIBRARY: A COFFEE HOUSE 3418 E. Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 7:30PM/Starts 8PM, CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd st., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 7PM/Starts 7:30PM/$3 cover/10 min. guaranteed, MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed
5) The lovely and talented Kate Micucci of Garfunkel and Oates just dropped her solo album Phone Home (don’t worry, Garfunkel and Oates are still together), which I highly suggest that you check out/buy/download/support/listen to when you really need to smile. You can do so right here.
6) The Comedy Bureau “Tips Its Hat” today to DAVEY JOHNSON-“@DrDavey I’m 8% clever, and 93% stupid.” Davey Johnson is a whirlwind of comedy in LA that definitely needs to be seen live to really experience the full force of hilarity. Performing routinely with some of the best sketch groups in LA, which includes his own “The Doorknockers” with the also amazing Randy Liedtke featured weekly at “The Tomorrow Show w/Ron Lynch”, Davey Johnson “rolls with it” in the best way possible. You can see Davey tonight in the aforementioned Birds of Prey @ Steve Allen Theater 8PM $5 and at The Second Annual Best Doorknockers Christmas Pageant Ever @ The Steve Allen Theater Thurs. Dec. 16th 8PM $10. Also, you can follow Davey on Twitter here.
7) From the “You Should Have Been There” Lagoon: Doug Stanhope’s Comedy Death Camp
9) Sometimes I feel so close to getting somewhere in comedy, which always seems to be accompanied by the feeling of going completely broke.
THE COMEDY BUREAU
Post Brunch Update 11/19/10
1) The Super Serious Show @ Smashbox Studios was one of the best produced shows, thanks to show producers Joel Mandelkorn and Mandee Johnson, that I’ve been to in recent memory. Inside an extremely hip studio space (there’s a bar in the lobby), the set-up for the show was gorgeous. I almost didn’t believe I was at a comedy event with the all the camera equipment, the DJ spinning, food truck, GOOD FREE BEER (not that Tecate BS at most shows), gourmet cookies and cupcakes, and Christmas lights strung beautifully overhead. Already a cool, laid-back party, the Super Serious Show takes everyone’s good time and makes it great once the show actually commences. Every performer got to showcase their brand of humor perfectly as they were lit just right and everyone was seated intimately in addition to the entire line-up being truly some of L.A.’s best in comedy. Last night’s crowd at Smashbox Studios were treated (and then some) to the amazing talents of Sean Conroy, sketch group Birds of Prey (Lizzy Cooperman, Susan Burke, and Emily Maya Mills), Christina Pazsitsky, Marc Maron, and the music/comedic truths of Kirk Zipfel. Admission for the Super Serious Show is $15 at the door, but I say, with all sincerity, it’s entirely worth it. The Super Serious Show is on every third Thursday of the month at Smashbox Studios 8549 Higuera St., Culver City, CA. Pre-sale $10/$15 at door. Check back at the Comedy Bureau for details on the next one on December 16th.
2) Instead of watching Harry Potter, take a journey on tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL because it’s cheaper and won’t make you wait for the second half for several months. Try out Dead Authors @ UCB Theatre 7PM $5, then WTF with Marc Maron @ UCB Theatre 8PM $10, then Comedy Car Hole @ Comedy Car Hole 9PM FREE, then The Fake Show @ The Fake Gallery 9PM $10, Tammy Jo Dearen’s Laughing Stock @ Club 8572/The Palms @ 9:30PM $10, then Stood Up Friday Night @ Moving Arts Theatre 10PM $5, and end the night/not be possibly disappointed with a cliffhanger at Hot Toddy @ iO West 10:30PM $5
3) OPEN MIC RUN: SILVERLAKE LOUNGE 2906 W. Sunset Blvd. in Silverlake/Sign-up (lottery) 6:30PM/Starts 7PM, iCANDY 1708 E. Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 6PM/Starts 7PM/$3 min., GLENDALE DAYS INN 450 N. Pioneer Dr., Glendale, CA/8PM, SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood/6PM, TRINITY OPEN MIC 1019 California Ave., Santa Monica, CA 8PM, MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 cover/multiple sets allowed.
5) Zach Sherwin AKA MC Mr. Napkins AKA all-around hilarious comedian is dropping his self-titled album 11/30/10 off of Comedy Central Records. Even if you don’t like rap songs about analyzing rap lyrics, geography, and bees, you should still be on the lookout for it because he’s that good. OR, you can just pre-order it on iTunes here.
6) The Comedy Bureau extends a congratulations to Shayne Michael as winner and Erik D. Schulte as the audience favorite for the first Joe Braza Comedy Invitational.
6) The Comedy Bureau “Tips Its Hat” today to Paul Jay. “@pauljaycomic Love is: not throwing a nerd fit when your girlfriend watches "Casino” in the wrong aspect ratio.“ Follow him on twitter here or check out his awesome podcast, The Biggest Mistake here.
7) "Misadventures” isn’t exactly how I would describe the nightly explorations of the Comedy Bureau. I think “ceaseless insomnia-induced sojourn” is more appropriate. Don’t get me wrong, I have fun. It just never stops. NEVER. Follow the Comedy Bureau’s LIVE TWEETING of “whatever it is” here.
8) I would like an auctioneer to say, “Do I hear….?” in regards to donating to the Comedy Bureau, but I think they would have to start off with, “Do I hear…. anything?” Change that and donate here.
9) What happened to old school hecklers that actually made some sort of sense when they were interrupting? In this last week, I’ve seen mostly crazy people wearing a bunch of hats simultaneously that just say, “My name is Taxi-cab guy. I like house music.”
THE COMEDY BUREAU