A round of applause for magazine Adbusters and their latest cover.
Watch a Teaser for History Channel’s “Night Class” Where Josh Fadem Plays Hitler as a Struggling Artist
The History channel is really making a point to inject comedy into their line-up in 2016. This includes a compilation of short form shows including, Great Minds with Dan Harmon, Crossroads of History, and How to Lose the Presidency, which will be called Night Class and be their latest comedy offering.
Night Class premieres this Thurs. Feb. 25th at 11:30PM on the History channel.
Gary Gulman Gives A Fun Lesson in Diction on Late Night
Last night on Late Night with Seth Meyers, Gary Gulman shows how great word choice can be when doing stand-up, especially when it comes to talking about Hitler, the Jews, and God.
Myq Kaplan Has The Best Time Travel to Kill Hitler Bit
Whether it’s surprising to you or not, traveling back in time to stop Hitler is something is joked about quite a bit in comedy. However, this bit from Myq Kaplan on his Conan set from last night is the best we’ve ever heard.
Morning Debriefing 6/5/11
1) The 9th Annual LA Improv Comedy Festival starts TOMORROW at iO West!!! Don’t miss out on shows including the cast of the Office, Writers from Conan, Jeffrey Tambor receiving the Del Close Lifetime Achievement Award, and more.
2) June 23rd Louie comes back to FX (I know plenty of you know that, but a friendly Sunday reminder doesn’t hurt). Make sure you mark all your calendars for this (on the wall, on your phone, desktop, laptop, etc.)
3) Punchline Magazine “Analysis” Articles by the Comedy Bureau
What Exactly is a Solo Sketch Show?
The Comedy Podcast Goes ‘Postmodern’
What Makes Up a Stand-Up Comedian?
Is It Ever OK to Heckle a Comedian?
In What Setting is a Comedy Album Best Recorded?
Will Mainstream Awards Shows Ever Give Comedies the Respect They Deserve?
5) In case you missed it or have a thing about scrolling down too far, The Tip of the Hat for Katie Crown.
6) ON THE HORIZON
Drinking Buddies Presents @ Hollywood Improv Tues. Jun. 7th 8PM $14/2 item min.
Stripped Stories @ UCB Theatre Thurs. June 9th 8PM $5
Nick Thune & Friends @ Largo at the Coronet Thurs. June 9th 8:30PM $20
The Pod F. Tompkast @ Largo at the Coronet Sat. June 18th 8:30PM $25
Small and Tall Tales w/Margot Leitman & Jenna Brister @ UCB Theatre Wed. June 22nd 8PM $5
Nick Kroll and Friends @ Largo at the Coronet Thurs. June 23rd 9PM $25
Two Thumbs Way Down @ Nerdist Theater Sat. June 25th 8PM $10
One-Two Punch @ Benton Manor Sat. June 25th 8PM FREE
7) COMEDY CRAWL
Feel Good Comedy @ The Hollywood Improv 7PM $10/2 item min.
ASSSSCAT @ UCB Theatre 7:30PM FREE
2nd Antioch University Counseling Center Benefit @ The Comedy Store (Main Room) 8PM $25/2 item min.
TJ Miller (Makes Mayhem) @ Largo at the Coronet 8PM $20 (say “Allison Sent Me” and get a friend in for free)
French Toast @ Taix 8:30PM FREE
Trick IV: A New Hope @ Dark Horse Saloon 8PM FREE
Power Violence @ The Complex 9PM FREE
Top Story Weekly @ iO West 9PM $5
Gravid Water @ UCB Theatre 9:30PM $5 (stand by only)
8) OPEN MIC RUN
PALMS 8572 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/lottery
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/$4 min./first come, first served
NERDIST THEATRE 7522 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (back room of Meltdown Comics)/Sign-up 7:15PM/Starts 7:30PM/lottery/30 spots available/no purchase necessary
TSUNAMEDY @ TRIBAL CAFE 1651 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA (Echo Park)/Sign-up 8PM/Starts 9PM/first come, first served/mixed mic
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed/bottled water and coffee available
9) It has come to the attention of the Comedy Bureau that two videos in particular on Osama Bin Laden’s death featuring the amazing Table of Galaxies (the hilarious duo of James Adomian and Whitest Kids U Know’s Trevor Moore) and Hasan Minhaj didn’t get nearly enough press (even though they’ve already been posted here) due to the political nature of the humor in them. Interestingly enough, we have not vilified Bin Laden the same way we have Adolf Hitler. Hitler is one of the “go to” references for evil incarnate and Bin Laden is far from that. It’s not like when Indiana Jones met Hitler when there was no doubt that Indy is looking into the face of evil. The annoucement of Osama Bin Laden’s death in the social networking age where “no stone goes unturned” and subsequently made fun of brought about jokes about the death of Osama Bin Laden explore the mythos behind Osama Bin Laden, even questioning whether he really died or not. Watch the two videos below and think about it.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau