Morning Debriefing 2/11/11
1) One-on-one single elimination stand up comedy is here: March Comedy Madness. Now taking submissions. Details here.
2) A few days ago, I posted that I was disappointed that the @RealGallagher Twitter account was fake as it included tweets that were horribly homophobic, racist, and reactionary. Yesterday, I read this article about a recent performance of Gallagher and, to my bittersweet delight, those tweets weren’t too far off.
4) Are you tired of hearing a comedian’s WHOLE set and just want to hear their brilliant closer? Of course you’re not, but “That’s the Light” is a showcase of many of LA’s best doing exactly that. Telling their best ending joke will be: Lizzy Cooperman, Matt Champagne, Sean Green, Raj Desai, Erica Doering, Robert Yasumura, Troy Conrad, Jan Davidson, and more! Also, they’re being judged by none other than Taylor Negron, Barry Sobel, and Larry Joe Campbell as this is part of a series with the Los Angeles Comedy Festival. 10:30PM $10 at the Asylum Theatre in Hollywood (6320 Santa Monica Blvd.) E-mail email@example.com for reservations. Don’t miss it.
6) In the same fervent spirit as myself, though much more far reaching, Kristy Mangel has her amazing, fantastic, in-depth, enlightening comedy magazine RE: COM available for digital download for $2. Marc Maron’s on the cover, so at least click on the link, will you?
7) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL-OK, it’s just three shows, you can do this…
Harland Williams @ Irvine Improv 8PM/10PM $22/2 item min.
James Adomian @ Flappers Claremont 8PM/10PM $15/2 drink min.
Stood Up Friday Night @ Moving Arts Theatre 10PM $5
8) OPEN MIC RUN 2/11/11
iCANDY 1708 E. Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 6PM/Starts 7PM/$3 min.
SILVERLAKE LOUNGE 2906 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA (Silverlake)/Sign-up (lottery) 6:30PM/Starts 7PM
MAX BLOOM’S 200 N. Malden Ave., Fullerton, CA/Starts 7PM
GLENDALE DAYS INN 450 N. Pioneer Dr., Glendale, CA/Starts 8PM
10) Miley Cyrus is hosting SNL. Perhaps, I should just invent a time machine to go back to the seventies where I belong.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau
Morning Debriefing 2/1/11
1) @RealGallagher is fake. And shut down. After walking out on Marc Maron during an interview on the Maron’s WTF Podcast, for a few hours, many people on Twitter in LA and around the country were fooled into thinking that an angered Gallagher traded smashing watermelons for espousing an extremely conservative point of view and extremely bigoted jokes. Via Punchline Magazine several hours later, it was revealed that Gallagher indeed did not start a Twitter account and had nothing to do with those tweets. Though there are various takes on the events that took place, I think it’s speak volumes about how Gallagher is perceived by how disappointed (the announcement that it was fake had to be retweeted over 100 times) everyone was when they found out it really wasn’t his Twitter.
2) Garfunkel and Oates “All Over Your Face” is out today on cdbaby and iTunes. I’ll say it again: Garfunkel and Oates “All Over Your Face” is out today on cdbaby and iTunes. and again: Garfunkel and Oates “All Over Your Face” is out today on cdbaby and iTunes. That’s 3 times, so maybe, just maybe you should go to cdbaby or iTunes and just go buy “All Over Your Face” by Garfunkel and Oates (was the 4th time overkill?)
3) Going into its 4th month, The Big Trouble in Little Tokyo Open Mic is almost 1/3 of a year old, which is good enough celebration for me, not to mention Matt Champagne, Jan Davidson, and cheap, great Mexican seafood. Come on down to Señor Fish, 422 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA. Sign-up 6:30PM. Starts 7PM.
4) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL–
¡Satiristas LIVE! @ Actors’ Gang 7PM PAY WHAT YOU CAN
Just for Laughs Showcase @ The Comedy Store Belly Room (8433 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA) 7:30PM
Ballgame’s Laugh Lounge @ Red Rock 8PM FREE
Comedy Death Ray @ UCB Theatre 8:30PM $5 (stand by only)
Holy Fuck @ Downtown Independent Theater 9PM FREE
Lower Crust Comedy Presents: Just for Laughs Showcase @ Genghis Cohen 9:30PM $6
6) Recently: Just in case you forgot and needed a reason to smile.
7) Day 4 of not going up somewhere performing: I don’t know how I’m not yelling obscenities at strangers right now.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau