1) Making it to more than one open mic in LA is so hard that I can’t even think of a metaphor to relate how incredibly difficult it really is. I missed out on the Nugget Grill & Pub at CSULB as non-student parking is about a mile away from where you’re supposed to go. HOWEVER, I managed to make it to BACK HOME IN LAHAINA in Carson and did 35 MINUTES! 35 MINUTES! No matter how many times I write that, it won’t make it seem more plausible. There was a crowd that mostly came there for the delicious Hawaiian Zagat rated cuisine, but I got 35 minutes. That’s the only selling point you should care about. Back Home in Lahaina. 2nd official “Bureau Approved” open mic. Running on first and last Tues. of every month, starting at 6PM, 519 E. Carson St. #A, Carson, CA.
2) Chatroulette LIVE! @ The UCB Theatre proved to be one of the most innovative and hilarious live comedy shows on “the scene”. Imagine taking Crank Yankers to the stage, then using real, AWESOME comedic performers as a panel, then going on the twisted/addicting website that is Chatroulette to “prank video chat” people around the world such as shirtless kids in Brazil asking to see tits. Chatroulette LIVE is farcical, macabre, and uproarious the whole way through. Hosted by the amazing Allan McLeod and Dominic Dierkes, featuring Sean Clements, Harris Wittels, Kate Micucci & Riki Lindhome, and Jackie Clarke, it’s an amazing night of the hilarity/horror of social networking gone too far. Chatroulette LIVE! $5. 1st Tues. of every month at the UCB Theatre, 5919 Franklin Ave., Hollywood, CA.
3) Post Election Comedy Crawl where you can maybe get high off some laughs: Highland Park Sing-A-Long w/Maria Bamford @ Cafe de Leche 7PM FREE, then Ed Galvez’s Punk House @ The Westside Comedy Theatre 9PM $8, then Tiffany King’s LOL Comedy Show 9PM $5, then Beer in the Shower @ White Horse Inn Cocktail Lounge 10PM FREE, then Fresh Faces @ The Hollywood Laugh Factory 10PM $20/2 drink min., and come nicely off the high with/ Anna Lee Lawson Comedy Hour @ The Next Stage Theatre 11PM $5. If that doesn’t help with trying to stomach the election results, I can’t help you.
4) On Halloween, Schtick or Treat @ Taix was absolutely fantastic the whole way through. This, however, was literally a tour-de-force impression of Russell Brand by LA Comedian Nick Rutherford. Witness.
6) The Big Trouble in Little Tokyo Open Mic is PRIVILEGED to kick off its inaugural night with performances by the lovely LAUREN ROCHELLE and the one and only JOE BRAZA! Again, Nov. 9th @ Señor Fish. 6:30PM. 422 E. 1st St. DO NOT MISS!
7) No on Prop. 19 frustration and Dancing w/the Stars updates. Two topics I don’t want to hear about at open mics, but absolutely will tonight.
THE COMEDY BUREAU