Morning Debriefing 7/19/11
1) Paul Scheer’s NTSF:SD:SUV was interviewed by AOL TV and there’s a preview available on iTunes!!! Don’t miss the premiere this Thurs. at 12:15AM!
4) The Comic’s Comic pointed out yet another random joke stealing accusation today. Hey people excited to be whistleblowers only for the sake of being a whistleblower, realize that there are plenty of incredibly creative and imaginative people not just in comedy, but the entirety of the entertainment industry, and that the possibility of someone coming up with very similar to what someone else came up with is very likely. In fact, it happens every single day.
If I had a nickel for every time I nearly had an aneurism when I read a log line for movie that just sold that’s basically what I’ve spend the better part of a year writing or hearing a similar joke that’s on an extremely esoteric topic to one that I have by a much more famous comedian than me, well, I would never ever work again. There’s a reason several intellectual property cases get thrown out every year because they are baseless and more often than not, the accusers care less about what they’re creating and more about the end result of trying to get rich quick.
Our advice: Think very carefully before you throw around the label of a “joke thief” around because it’s very hard to get rid of even if has no foundation in fact.
6) Kurt Braunohler’s World Wide of Animals: Seahorses. The funniest show about animal facts that did absolutely no fact checking whatsoever.
7) Amazing print comedy magazine RE:COM that’s distributed NATIONALLY is looking for photos from comedy happenings in the LA area. E-mail hi-res (300 dpi or better) pics to firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
10) Don’t know what photobombing is? Here’s an almost too perfect example from Ken Jeong in GQ (or from model Kate Upton depending on how you look at it)
12) Jesse Miller has a new client!!! (it’s his brother, Troy Miller, and he’s hard as hell with a Bo Staff)
14) ON THE HORIZON
The 3rd Annual High School Talent Show @ Hot House Thurs. July 21st 9PM FREE (invite only)
Super Serious Show One Year Anniversary @ Smashbox Studios Thurs. July 21st 7PM $10 presale/$15 at door
Don’t Stop or We’ll Die LIVE @ UCB Theatre Sat. July 23rd 10PM $10
One Last Try for Comedy (Show) @ Fake Gallery Thurs. July 28th 8:30PM FREE
15) COMEDY CRAWL
The Good Luck Show @ Good Luck Bar 8PM FREE
Two Thumbs Way Down @ Nerdist Theater 8PM $10
Pizza Party Comedy @ Westside Comedy Theater 8:30PM $8
Comedy Bang Bang @ UCB Theatre $5 (stand by only)
Nick Thune & Friends w/Maria Bamford & Harland Williams @ Largo at the Coronet Theatre 9PM $20
Holy Fuck @ Downtown Independent Theater 9PM FREE
16) OPEN MIC RUN
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE TOKYO @ SEÑOR FISH 422 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/6 min./first come, first served/no purchase necessary
LIBRARY A COFFEE HOUSE 3418 E. Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 7:30PM/Starts 8PM/first come, first served/no purchase necessary
WESTWOOD BREW CO 1097 Glendon Ave., Westwood, CA/Sign-up 7:30PM/Starts 8PM/lottery/first come, first served/no purchase necessary
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA/Starts 8PM/first come, first served/$4 min.
WESTSIDE COMEDY THEATER 1323-A 3rd St., Santa Monica, CA (in alley between 3rd St. Promenade and 4th St.)/Sign-up 9:45PM/Starts 10PM/lottery/$1 cover
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/bottled water and coffee provided
17) Was asked if I was human last night because of constantly overloading my plate with work by somehow finishing it? To be honest, I had a moment of doubt of whether I was indeed human or not. Even at this moment, there is a twinge of uncertainty only dismissed by the fact that it’s almost 1PM when I posting the Morning Debriefing.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau