TCB Debriefing 9/5/23: Beth Stelling, Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget, Hasan Minhaj, Woody Allen/Cancel Culture, Meme Fighter LIVE
1. Following up one of the best comedy specials in recent memory, Girl Daddy, the brilliant Beth Stelling just announced a new hour special, If You Didn’t Want Me Then, exclusive to Netflix, due out just under a month from now on Tues. Oct. 3rd. Definitely set aside time to watch/revel/laugh/enjoy this the second it comes out.
2. Also due out on Netflix is the latest from stop motion animation legend Nick Park, the sequel to the unequivocally charming Chicken Run, Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget. By the way, if you’re feeling out of sorts these days because of, well, the world, a deep dive into the Nick Park universe is a pretty great pick-me-up.
3. Make sure you’re at the ready tomorrow morning when tickets go on sale for Hasan Minhaj‘s latest tour, Off With His Head. That will mark the third hour in a trio of hours entitled Homecoming King, The King’s Jester, and, now, Off With His Head. A la Simon Pegg and Nick Frost’s Cornetto trilogy, will this be a sort of a ‘Royal Court’ trilogy?
4. Woody Allen claims to not know what it means to be canceled during the screening of his latest movie at Venice Film Festival (Deadline). He hasn’t every really stopped working and putting out movies (and that Amazon series that was very quickly forgotten), so was he ever really canceled (even if his work from the last several years have been his least acclaimed)?
5. Once again, we’re doing a very special live game show, Meme Fighter LIVE! on 9/23 in LA, with the good folks at brand new meme-making-app, Meme Fighter. See Dylan Adler, Ify Nwadiwe, and Jenny Zigrino try and claim comedy supremacy with only memes at their disposal with Nick Gligor presiding over the battle of memetic wits. Tix now on sale HERE.
6. Ironically, Shane Gillis, who is no stranger to controversy, told essentially the same joke that Bill Maher got in trouble for right after 9/11 in his new hour special, Beautiful Dogs. We’re pretty sure it’s parallel thought, but Gillis won’t experience anywhere near the heat for the joke in 2023 and, given how schadenfraude-obsessed edgelords and their fans are, it isn’t necessarily because 9/11 happened over 20 years ago.