1) “#Follow2011LAfunniest” represents the 13 funniest folks (2+0+11) in LA on Twitter. If you want your 2011 to be anything resembling an improvement from 2010, then you should read EVERYTHING these fine people write (oh yeah, you should go see them at a show… they’re pretty hilarious in real life too). #Follow2011LAfunniest Lizzy Cooperman (@lizzycooperman), Eddie Pepitone (@eddiepepitone), Kyle Kinane (@kylekinane), Paul Jay (@pauljaycomic), Andrés du Bouchet (@dubouchet), Matt Knudsen (@matt_knudsen), Matt Dwyer (@matt_dwyer), Tony Sam (@tonysam76), Ryan Stout (@stoutryan), Dave Ross (@davetotheross), Lauren Ashley Bishop (@sbellelauren), Robert Buscemi (@robertbuscemi), and Jamie Lee (@thejamielee).
2) 8PM’s about when you’ll regain consciousness today, I mean this evening and try to remember where you left jacket, your wallet, and, incidentally, your innocence. Just go on tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL and forget about it with Hipster New Year w/Eddie Pepitone @ Flappers Burbank 8PM/10PM $17/2 drink min.
3) OPEN MIC RUN: WESTSIDE COMEDY THEATRE 1323-A 3rd St., Santa Monica, CA (in alley between 3rd and 4th St.)/Sign-up (lottery) 6PM/Starts 6:30PM, SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min., MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed
4) THE BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE TOKYO OPEN MIC is back for another round with none other than JACKIE KASHIAN and ANDY PETERS! Don’t miss out on some ass-kicking fun at Señor Fish (422 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA) this Tues. ¼. Sign-up 6:30PM. Starts 7PM.
5) The Comedy Bureau “Tips Its Hat” today to HASAN MINHAJ-“Law School Application” In his bio on his website, there is a line that reads “Today, Hasan enjoys writing biographies about himself in the third person.” Taking his observations about the world and himself throughout the country, Hasan is a comedic whirlwind that should be seen when you ever he’s going on stage. Such an occasion will happen on Mon. 1/3 at Keep It Clean @ 1739 Public House 10PM FREE and Tues. ¼ at Fresh Faces @ the Hollywood Laugh Factory 8PM $20/2 drink min. Here’s his website again along with his Twitter.
6) From the “You Should Have Been There” Lagoon: Lenny Bruce All Alone (yes, I know I’ve posted this before, but if we’re taking this “brand new year” thing seriously, this is one of the first things I want anyone/everyone to watch in comedy.)
7) Donate to the Comedy Bureau. You can start off the year (if you believe in that sort of thing) as a good person (again, if you’re into that sort of thing) if you do so.
8) New Year’s Resolution jokes here we come, including the joke-within-itself of considering starting in comedy as an acceptable resolution.
THE COMEDY BUREAU