1) Don’t tell impossible to take a dirt nap when trying to do a run of an open mics. My goal was 3 spots: Tribal Cafe, Ground Zero USC, and Taix and I only made it to Tribal Cafe as it ran too late to go to Ground Zero USC, then found out Taix no longer has an open mic since, SURPRISE SURPRISE, no one showed up, at which point the friendly bartender Tony told me, “If only found a motivated guy like you earlier…” Anyhow, Tribal Cafe, right off the bat, has a hipster vibe through and through with shelves of kombucha and Radiohead playing in the background. Somehow this translates into real twenty-somethings in plaid WALKING IN and LISTENING TO COMEDY. Combined with generous amounts of time from the gracious Tracie Walker, Tribal Cafe is now a “Bureau Approved” open mic. Every Monday @ 8:30PM 1651 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA (Echo Park).
2) The Comedy Crawl. Do it. Ballgame’s Laugh Lounge @ Red Rock 8PM FREE, then Comedy & Cocktails @ The Hollywood Improv 8PM $14/2 item min., then Comedy Death Ray @ UCB Theatre 8:30PM $5 (stand-by only), then This Is Not Happening Presents: Vendetta @ The Hollywood Improv Lab 8:30PM $5, then, finally, Chatroulette Live @ The UCB Theatre (again) 11PM $5.
3) As the Comedy Bureau isn’t sanctioned by anyone at all, there is no “real” funding to run the night-to-night of bringing all you Los Angelenos dedicated to performing/seeing live comedy. That’s why there is now a Donation Box where any support to make improve this blog for all, if you’re willing and able, is invaluable. Please give here.
4) Calendars updated yet again. iO West. Spotlight Comedy Club. The Acme Comedy Theatre.
5) Having another go at an Open Mic Run at the Nugget in CSULB & Back Home in Laihaina in Carson. The Comedy Bureau Director Jake Kroeger will again be live tweeting during the run hopefully with more success this time (i.e. finding open mics aren’t cancelled upon showing up) Follow the tweets here.
6) This would be where the commercial break would be: Big Trouble in Little Tokyo Open Mic @ Señor Fish. 6:30PM. 422 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA. It’s all in the repetition.
7) PLEASE DONATE.
8) Best thing about voting today: Only one more week of voting jokes. I hope…
THE COMEDY BUREAU