Morning Debriefing 2/19/11
1) The Rooftop College Comedy Competition on Mar. 22nd pits students from LMU and Chapman University to see who is the funniest. How is this not an open mic that you’d have to pay to see?
2) Sell-Outs: Just a heads up on some great shows that are SOLD OUT, though you might just show up and see if there are any tickets at the door because people in LA tend to be quite flaky.
Matt Mira and Thomas Lennon present ONESTAR @ UCB Theatre Sun. Feb. 20th 9:30PM
West Memphis Three Benefit Show w/Oswalt, Silverman, and Tompkins @ Largo Mon. Feb. 21st 8PM $40
An Evening with Bill Maher @ Ice House Mon. Feb. 21st 8PM $40
5) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL-You better stay up tonight…
2 Milk Minimum @ Flappers Burbank 11:30AM $10/2 item min.
The Swarm @ UCB Theatre 7PM $5 (stand by only)
The Anytime Show w/Dominic Dierkes @ Smodcastle 8PM $8
Grand Theft Audio LIVE @ Meltdown Comics 8PM $8
Lettuce Entertain You w/Stand Up @ UCB Theatre 10PM $10 (stand by only)
Dole-White @ 1269 E. 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 10PM FREE
Magic Bag @ Smodcastle 10PM $8
The 12 Shiny Nickels Show @ Fake Gallery 11PM $5
The Tomorrow Show w/Ron Lynch Presents: Hook-Up @ Steve Allen Theater MIDNIGHT $8
6) OPEN MIC RUN
SPOT CAFE 4455 Overland Ave., Culver City, CA/Starts 2PM/people usually give feedback at end of set
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 6PM/one item min.
WESTSIDE COMEDY THEATRE 1323-A 3rd St., Santa Monica, CA (in alley between 3rd and 4th St.)/Sign-Up 6PM/Starts 6:30PM
SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min.
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed
7) Recently: Radiohead’s new album came out to uproarious…. outrage especially via Twitter. Anyone think they will get to the point where fans will want to chase them with pitchforks like Patton Oswalt wants to kill George Lucas with a shovel?
8) A kid an open mic asked me where we can make money doing comedy in LA and I literally told him, a la Chinatown because it was raining and there were neon signs all around, “It’s LA. Forget about it.” Welcome to Jadedville. (also, I find it hilarious that I’m Jake and I’m the one saying it.)
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau