Morning Debriefing 9/8/11
1) JON DALY IS… Ticklish Cage?
2) Fox pulled this segment of comedian Bob Oschack interviewing Asian USC students about the inclusion of Colorado and Utah in the newly formed PAC 12 Conference due to many in the Asian American community being deeply offended. Apparently, Asian college students not knowing about the newest developments in collegiate level sports conferences is incredibly embarassing. As an Asian American USC alumni, I could say that the clip isn’t all that offensive, but then again, I don’t really care about my ethnicity at all. Also, lighten the fuck up. [via America’s Comedy]
3) Tonight on TV: Futurama gets their season finale in a way that they’ve never been drawn before (Comedy Central 10PM), Louie also reaches its season finale (FX 10:30PM), NTSF:SD:SUV has former Crossing Jordan star Jerry O’Connell (Adult Swim 12:15AM), and Thursdays are running out of things to watch.
4) In LA open mic news, there will be a new open mic at the Hollywood Improv and an open mic for sketches at the Westside Comedy Theater (those interested must sign-up in advance) all this Sunday.
5) Here’s a list of recently released and upcoming comedy albums that you could go to most stores to pick up, unlike us going to Amoeba.
8) COMEDY CRAWL
Jeff Garlin in Conversation w/Larry David for OXFAM @ Largo 8PM $30 (sold out)
Subversive Comedy w/Jimmy Dore @ Flappers Burbank 8PM $12/2 item min.
“Raised by Cable” Album Release @ Nerdist Theater 8PM $10
The Josh & Josh Show @ Bar Lubitsch 8:30PM FREE
Merrill Davis & Friends @ Hollywood Improv Lab 8:30PM $5
The Comedy Palace @ The Palace Restaurant 9:30PM FREE
Sweet, Sweet Stand-up @ M Bar 10PM Pay what you can
A Great & Terrible Thing @ Hollywood Improv Lab 10:30PM $7
The 11th Hour Show @ Artworks Theater 11PM FREE
9) OPEN MIC RUN
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA 6PM/$4 minimum/first come, first served
ZAPATA VIVE 101 S. First Ave., Arcadia, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/20 spots available/5 min.
COFEE BEAN 16101 Ventura Blvd., Encino, CA, Suite 180/Starts 7PM/mixed mic/no purchase necessary
SANDWICH SPOT 3101 Ocean Park Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served
CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served/10 min.
SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min.
CAFE UNURBAN 3301 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 9PM/No purchase necessary
DANGERFIELD’S 2 2860 Glenview Ave., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 10PM after booked show/15 spots available/No purchase necessary
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel, past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served/coffee and bottled water available
10) Just watched Notting Hill and thought, “Wow. This movie does not hold up at all.” Also, I just watched Notting Hill alone for no reason at all. That’s a pretty good Match.com bio, right?