Morning Debriefing 2/12/11
1) Finally!!! It’s Saturday Night and I Need a Laugh (and I’m in LA). This is a recent piece I wrote about the perspective of most people in Los Angeles who have no idea that comedy exists outside of the Laugh Factory, Comedy Store, and the Hollywood Improv, what they should REALLY expect from aforementioned clubs on a given Saturday night, and what the alternative can be, which, in this case, was cult favoriteThe Tomorrow Show w/Ron Lynch.
3) Death Valley = Steve Agee + Zombies + San Fernando Valley = Possible redemption for MTV and its more recent series Skins.
4) The Comedy Bureau Tips Its Hat to the almost enigmatic Reggie Watts, who is in town for a few days. Write-up/article to come later today.
6) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL-Back to work people…
Two Milk Minimum @ Flappers Burbank 11:30AM $10/2 item min.
The Swarm @ UCB Theatre 7PM $5
Harland Williams @ Irvine Improv 7PM/9PM $22/2 item min.
Heart of Darkness @ Meltdown Comics 7:30PM $8
The Anytime Show w/Dominic Dierkes @ Smodcastle 8PM $8
James Adomian @ Flappers Claremont 8PM/10PM $15/2 drink min.
Persona @ Hollywood Improv Lab 8:30PM $5
The Playin’ with Micucci Valentine’s/President Day Special @ Steve Allen Theater 8PM $10 (standing room only)
The Ed Galvez Punk House Weekend Edition @ Westside Comedy Theatre 9PM $10
Magic Bag @ Smodcastle 10PM $8
That’s the Light @ Asylum Theatre 10:30PM $10
The Twelve Shiny Nickels Show @ Fake Gallery 11PM $5
The Tomorrow Show: For Love or Money @ Steve Allen Theater MIDNIGHT $8
7) OPEN MIC RUN 2/12/11
LAUNDROMIC 1054 Vine St., Hollywood, CA/Starts 4:30PM
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 6PM/one item min.
WESTSIDE COMEDY THEATRE 1323-A 3rd St., Santa Monica, CA (in alley between 3rd and 4th St.)/Sign-Up 6PM/Starts 6:30PM
BURBANK MOOSE LODGE 1901 W. Burbank Blvd., Burbank, CA/Starts 7:30PM
SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min.
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed
8) Recently: It was announced that Beyonce is going to headline the prestigious Glastonbury Music Festival, which is, I guess, no longer prestigious. Similarly, Miley Cyrus is hosting SNL in the coming weeks. Tonight, Reggie Watts will be playing the back of a comic book store and I’d still see that anytime over the previous two. Here’s why.
9) To anyone who thinks that I actually go to every single show on the Comedy Crawl, go ahead and keep thinking that because that sounds pretty amazing.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau