1) Watch comedic brilliance by Jon Dore & Rory Scovel on Conan. Oh yeah, they might do the same thing at Meltdown Comics on August 11th.
2) Want to be on a “High School Talent Show”?
Hot House, which normally hosts a fantastic “secret” comedy show, is putting the 3rd Annual Hot House High School Talent Show. Already, it’s half booked, but if you’re interested, the show is on Thurs. July 21st 8PM and they’re looking to book all types of variety/comedy/character acts of varying lengths – but – no stand up (unless it is part of a larger character piece).
The basic theme of the night is the show takes place in a High School Auditorium hosted by the Vice Principal of Affairs. Talent must decide up front whether to play a Student or an Administrator. And all acts should be between thirty seconds to three minutes (five if there is a real need) And let us know the general concept beforehand.
Nothing is too small or too stupid. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
3) So Café Muse, to those comedians that put up with its open mic or shows, is now gone. No more comedy will take place within its walls despite it being next door to the Comedy Central Stages. We’re frankly surprised that it lasted this long as every time we’ve been there something along the lines of a frustrated white kid in his late 20’s would ask anyone who was black to be his black friend 5 minutes over the light would happen.
4) Don’t follow @MitziShore. It’s not her. Besides, gaining favor with her and an audition to be passed at the Comedy Store is a whole lot harder than just getting a fake account of her to follow you on Twitter.
9) COMEDY CRAWL
The Conan O’Brien Writers Retrospective @ Cinefamily 7:45PM $12
Comedy 90210 @ Roxbury Cafe 8PM $5
1642 Comedy Social Club @ 1642 Beer & Wine 8:30PM FREE
The Josh & Josh Show @ Bar Lubitsch 8:30PM FREE
Mr. Napkins Big Show @ Westside Comedy Theater 9PM FREE
Loose Meat @ UCB Theatre 9:30PM $5
Persona! @ Hollywood Improv Lab 10PM $5
Love Machine Comedy Show @ M Bar 10PM $5
Paul Danke & Cornell Reid Live Tweet a Movie @PaulDanke & @Corneezy 10PM FREE
10) OPEN MIC RUN
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA 6PM/$4 minimum/first come, first served
COFEE BEAN 16101 Ventura Blvd., Encino, CA, Suite 180/Starts 7PM/mixed mic/no purchase necessary
SANDWICH SPOT 3101 Ocean Park Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served
CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served/10 min.
CAFE UNURBAN 3301 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 9PM/No purchase necessary
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel, past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served/coffee and bottled water available
11) I tried defending Tree of Life to my sister and mother who sat through it with me and the best I could come up with was, “Well, it’s best if you don’t try to figure it out.” Now, if I only could write jokes that work like that.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau