1) The 2011 Bridgetown Comedy Festival is now taking submissions for stand up comedians and sketch comedy performers. Recently just voted by Punchline Magazine readers to be the Best Comedy Festival, it’s one that many comedians say is nothing but fun. More details on submitting here.
3) OF COURSE THERE’S AWARDS FOR TWEETING!!! The 3rd Annual Shorty Awards are here and are taking nominations from the twitter community at large by having any Twitter user tweet, “I nominate @twitteruser for a Shorty Award #humor because…” If you don’t give a reason for the nomination, the nomination WILL NOT COUNT. Currently, in the humor section, there are no comedians that are featured here at the Comedy Bureau in the top 6. Want some suggestions? How about @eddiepepitone, @lizzycooperman, @pauljaycomic, @dubouchet, @matt_knudsen, @matt_dwyer, @kylekinane, @tonysam76, @sbellelauren, @stoutryan, @davetotheross, @thejamielee, @robertbuscemi because they all kill it on Twitter.
4) The Big Trouble in Little Tokyo Open Mic is back with a kick in your face this Tues. with none other than JAMES ADOMIAN and perhaps another super special kick ass guest!!!! That should be enough for all of you. Señor Fish, 422 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA (Little Tokyo/near downtown) Jan. 11th. Sign-up 6:30PM. Starts 7PM.
5) I still have no idea what “Angry Birds” is and, frankly, I’d rather go on tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL. Join me, why don’t you? Norm MacDonald @ Hollywood Improv 7:30PM/9:30PM $20/2 item min., ASSSSCAT @ UCB Theatre 8PM $10, Tomorrow!!! w/Ron Lynch @ The Steve Allen Theatre MIDNIGHT $8, The Midnight Show w/Matt Braunger @ UCB Theatre MIDNIGHT $5 (stand by only)
7) OPEN MIC RUN: SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/one item min., WESTSIDE COMEDY THEATRE 1323 A 3rd St., Santa Monica (in alley between 3rd and 4th St.)/Sign-up 6PM (lottery)/Starts 6:30PM, SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min., MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed.
8) The Comedy Bureau “Tips Its Hat” today to PAUL JAY-“@pauljaycomic Magic Mountain is a great place for the Batman ride. Any kid who goes there stands a good chance of watching their parents get shot.” This is Paul Jay 2nd Tip of the Hat, which I don’t give lightly as there’s over thousands of posts, tweets, videos, etc. that I go through everyday. Still, Paul destroys it on Twitter just like he does on stage and on his podcast The Biggest Mistake. Twitter. Tumblr. Check back at the Comedy Bureau for upcoming show dates.
9) From the “You Should Have Been There” Lagoon: The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret Trailer
10) I wonder if Vegas has any odds on how long comics will be talking about taking the N word out of Huckleberry Finn. Any takers? Sure seems like it’s going to be awhile.
THE COMEDY BUREAU