1) Whether you know it or not, this is the moment LA comedy has been waiting for, so don’t let it pass you by AND CERTAINLY MAKE SURE IT HAPPENS. We’re talking about RIOT, the proposed LA alternative comedy festival by Abbey Londer, and if it reaches its goal, more things like its hilarious PSA video with Patton Oswalt, Marc Maron, Megan Mullally, Jimmy Pardo, Kumail Nanjiani, Dana Gould, Todd Glass, Thomas Lennon, Kyle Kinane, Pete Holmes, Eric Andre, and more will happen (and that’s a good thing, in case you were wondering).
2) As you might have saw from our posts yesterday, comedians Angelo Bowers and Josh Adam Meyers were involved in a severe car accident with a drunk driver from which Angelo, sadly, has passed away. Meyers suffered several injuries and is in (according to the last we heard) critical condition, but is talking and is currently at Cedars Sinai in the North Tower, Room 8020 with available visiting hours from 7AM to 9PM. Tonight, donations will be collected for Josh’s medical expenses at Beer in the Shower at the Dreams Bar & Cafe in Hollywood and Venice Underground in Venice, a show that Josh was booked to perform at, or, if you cannot attend and still want to donate, you can do through a Paypal link on Scott Boxenbaum’s website. The best way to remember Angelo is through his jokes and a Twitter account @AngeloJokes has been started for that very purpose. Please follow because he was incredibly funny like so: “If you’ve never been to a Cher concert then you’ve never lived… With your aunt and her lover.” –Angelo Bowers
3) Last night on late night, Chris Gethard claims he’ll basically fight anyone on Fallon and Will Arnett shows how bad at Twitter he is on Letterman. Tonight, Dave Attell will be on Conan and might possibly look less homeless than he did on the Tonight Show (TBS 11PM)
4) Something to really watch for: there’s going to be comedy content from IGN and the very funny Mike Drucker is going to be the head writer of it.
5) “Work It is a tightly written pilot. ABC, don’t you dare use that as a pull quote — please understand that "tightly written” does not mean well written.“-The Internet’s Jake Fogelnest recaps with no remorse the first episode of ABC’s "Work It”
6) Also on Twitter, Tommy Wiseau…
7) Today’s Puddin w/Eddie Pepitone will make you think twice about what you’ll do with gift cards…
9) COMEDY CRAWL
Just for Laughs Montreal Showcase @ Hollywood Improv Lab 7PM/8:30PM/10PM $5
A Kiss From Daddy/The Birthday Boys @ UCB Theatre 8PM $5
Meltdown @ Nerdist Theater 8:30PM $8
The Good Bits @ WitZend 9PM $5
Venice Underground @ Townhouse & the Del Monte 9PM FREE
Frolic! @ Far Bar 9PM FREE
A Very Special Bowser’s Castle @ Fenix 5-4 9PM FREE
Facebook @ UCB Theatre 9:30PM $5 (stand by only)
Beer in the Shower @ Dreams Bar & Cafe 9:30PM FREE
Fresh Faces @ Laugh Factory 10PM $20-$30/2 drink min.
Matty’s Pizza Party @ Next Stage Theater 11PM $5
10) OPEN MIC RUN
THE SPOT CAFE 4455 Overland Ave., Culver City, CA/Starts 7PM/lottery
HOLLYWOOD HOTEL 1160 N. Vermont Ave., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up 7PM/Starts 7:30PM/5 min./first come, first served/one drink min.
GRINDHOUSE CAFE 1051 N. Havenhurst, West Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM
BRONSON’S 5851 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/First come, first served/No purchase necessary
TRIBAL CAFE 1651 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 8PM/mixed mic
LIBRARY A COFFEE HOUSE 3418 Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 8PM/Starts 8:30PM
LIQUID ZOO 7214 Sepulveda Blvd., Van Nuys, CA/Sign-up 8:30PM/Starts 9PM/first come, first served/7 min.
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel, past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served/coffee and bottled water available
FLAPPERS BAR 102 E. Magnolia Ave., Burbank, CA/Sign-up 11PM/Starts MIDNIGHT
11) It’s really sad that no one really says, “Eh, you should really stick to comedy.”