1) The A.V. Club unveils its Podmass for the Best Podcasts of 2011, which, you’ll notice comedy dominates without it being labeled Best Comedy Podcasts of 2011, and Paste Magazine does the same with its 10 Best Comedians of 2011. Tomorrow, we’ll unveil our 100 Best Things in Comedy in No Particular Order Not At All Compiled by the A.V. Club, NY Magazine, or Pitchfork of 2011.
3) So, there will be a 1st Annual Wayne Federman International Film Festival next month at Cinefamily with movies presented by Garry Shandling, Paul F. Tompkins, Andy Kindler, and more. Maybe becoming a Cinefamily member isn’t such a bad idea?
4) You didn’t expect Bill Maher, of all people, to tweet something mean about Tim Tebow following a Broncos loss?
6) SNL’s Chris Kelly does every 2011 Pop Culture List Ever.
7) If you’re resolving to actually do stand-up as your New Year’s Resolution, here’s a little guide we wrote for the Nerdist that will limit the amount of self-loathing you might go through in January.
8) You probably know our holiday LA open mic procedure, so just let us know if there is a comedy open mic in the LA area on New Year’s Eve or Jan. 1st by e-mailing email@example.com
11) COMEDY CRAWL
Maria Bamford @ Fake Gallery 8PM $10
Shitty Holidays @ UCB Theatre 8PM $5 (stand by only)
Ha: Unstuffed & Unstrung @ Irvine Barclay Theatre 8PM $45-$55
Michael Rayner @ Flappers Claremont 8PM/10PM $15
12) OPEN MIC RUN
SET LIST @ FLAPPERS BAR 102 E. Magnolia, Burbank, CA/Sign-up 5PM/Starts 5:30PM/given “set list” of topics to do jokes off of/first come, first served/no purchase necessary
SILVERLAKE LOUNGE 2906 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA (Silverlake)/Sign-up (lottery) 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/4 min./no purchase necessary
SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min.
MAX BLOOM’S 200 N. Malden Ave., Fullerton, CA/Starts 7PM/booked show after/no purchase necessary
HOLLYWOOD HOTEL 1160 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA/Sign-up 6PM/Starts 7PM/5 min./first come, first served/one drink min.
GLENDALE DAYS INN 450 N. Pioneer Dr., Glendale, CA/Sign-up 7PM/Starts 8PM/No foul language/No purchase necessary/first come, first served
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel, past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served/coffee and bottled water available
HOLLYWOOD HOTEL 1160 N. Vermont Ave., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up 11PM/Starts MIDNIGHT/5 min./first come, first served/one drink min.
FLAPPERS BAR 102 E. Magnolia Ave., Burbank, CA/Sign-up 10PM/Starts MIDNIGHT/lottery
13) It’s funny how many comedians have shelved certain material because the world isn’t ending.