1) On the Eve of Christmas Eve, on a night that most people are merely waiting for the rise of Christmas Morning, one, James Adomian, brought on one of the best LA stand up comedy performances of the year at the Josh and Josh Show. I write this without any hesitation at all even though I have seen an average of four hours of live stand up virtually every night for the last several months. Before Adomian went on tour for the last few months, I had seen him do versions of his act at least 10 times or to the point where I could write his set list out for him, but even in knowing what was coming, Adomian transcended all of my expectations with his superb impressions and uncanny awareness as a performer on stage. Last night, at Bar Lubitsch, Adomian got the audience, me included, to a point that’s so rare, not just in comedy, but in all art forms, where the audience member/viewer/reader/listener/etc. actually forgets that they are actually voluntarily consuming a performance or a piece. For me, as a comic, I especially enjoyed seeing Adomian deal with these two girls who were erupting in laughter, then found one joke somewhat to their distaste, then instantly get them back on his side. In fact, they were personally praising James for a good 15 minutes after the show. From his observations on gay villains, Sam Elliot advertising Kombucha, to his own “show-biz” story opening for Joan Rivers, Adomian made the term “tour-de-force” seem inadequate in this attempt to describe his performance. As highly respected comedienne/Comedy Bureau favorite Lizzy Cooperman said, “We all have just witnessed something [that we’re privileged to be a part of].” As James Adomian is back in LA for the time being, please check back at the Comedy Bureau for his next performance.
2) Tonight, there will be no COMEDY CRAWL as this time of year, I sincerely believe that is should be spent with your friends and family. Also, there’s really nothing else going on.
3) OPEN MIC RUN: "Yeah, I’m gonna go do an open mic on Christmas Eve. Gonna work on my five minutes for this Hollywood Showcase I’m gonna be in. It’s gonna be great. There’s going to be industry there, but, uhhh, do you want to go? I need to bring five people“-Person who wants to do an open mic on Christmas Eve/Escaped Mental Ward Patient. TO ALL YOU HARD WORKING COMICS OUT THERE, ENJOY YOURSELVES FOR A DAY OR TWO, WHY DON’T YOU?
5) WHO HAS TWO THUMBS AND WANTS TO OPEN FOR PAULIE SHORE IN VEGAS? Anyone? If you are one of those people, Paulie Shore is holding an open online-submission contest to “warm-up” for his show “Vegas is My Oyster” in Vegas with the likes of Charlyne Yi, Bobby Lee, and himself at the Palms Casino. Contest ends Dec. 30th. More details and submissions here.
6) The Comedy Bureau “Tips Its Hat” today to ADAM SHENKMAN-“Looking for a Wife-FIRST DATE-Episode #5” Adam Shenkman has drawn several comparisons to Andy Kaufman and deservingly so with his absolute, unwavering commitment to whatever he is doing both on and off stage. He’ll be continuing his “Looking for a Wife” series TONIGHT 9PM for FREE in Palm Springs at the Ace Hotel as part of his “Heebonism Christmas Eve Comedy Night”. Though he’s an act not to be missed, Shenkman with all his wild, unexpected antics is an act that’s really hard to miss as he runs a comedy variety show for kids called “The Breakfast Show”. Check at Adam’s website or back at the Comedy Bureau for details on the next one.
7) From the “You Should Have Been There” Lagoon: Star Wars Holiday Special Part 1 (there are 14-other successive parts on Youtube)
8) Donate to the Comedy Bureau, especially if you had no idea that there was a Star Wars Holiday Special that George Lucas himself doesn’t even like admitting that he let happen.
9) Last night, a girl said the following to me in conversation: Are you funny? I’m not getting funny from you. I was not aware that there was a “funny” detector available to the general public. If anyone knows of one, in, perhaps, a secret section of Brookstone/Skymall, please e-mail email@example.com with details. Also, if anyone knows of a handheld particle cannon that can vaporize an entire person with one shot, that would be helpful too.
THE COMEDY BUREAU