Morning Debriefing 7/17/11
1) Why can’t we have something like the Eugene Mirman Comedy Festival here in LA? This sounds pretty fantastic and maybe you should donate to the cause…
4) So Kristen Wiig is the voice of Babs in this slightly disturbing reboot of Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network and will produce and star in a suicide themed comedy that focuses on a woman who fakes suicide to gain the attention of an ex-boyfriend. We like this dark comedy streak by Wiig and hope it continues.
5) Remember when David Lynch used to do the daily weather? We’re surprised Lynch didn’t go the route of Rick Shapiro and his frequently posted and out of order Morning Meditations from Our Lady of No Thought Depot.
6) One of the more important things to note about GQ’s current “comedy” issue out on magazine racks now is that no one would know if it’s an issue about comedy if GQ didn’t tell anybody.
7) ON THE HORIZON
Jamie Kilstein-One Night Only @ Steve Allen Theater Mon. July 18th 8PM $10
The 2 & 45 @ All Star Lanes Mon. July 18th 8PM FREE
8) COMEDY CRAWL
Matt Besser: Enter the Hot Chicks Room @ UCB Theatre 6PM FREE
ASSSSCAT @ UCB Theatre 7:30PM FREE
Re-Animator: The Musical @ The Steve Allen Theater 8PM $30
A Gentle Evening With Josh & Don IV @ Fake Gallery 8:30PM FREE
French Toast @ Taix 8:30PM FREE
Top Story Weekly! @ iO West 9PM $5
Louis C.K. Working On New Shit During An Evening of Disjointed Comedy @ Largo 9PM $20-Sold Out
Power Violence @ The Complex 9PM FREE
Set List @ Flappers Burbank 9PM $12/2 item min.
Celebrity @ UCB Theatre 9:30PM $5 (stand by only)
Shitty Jobs @ UCB Theatre 11PM $5 (stand by only)
9) OPEN MIC RUN
PALMS 8572 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/lottery
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/$4 min./first come, first served
NERDIST THEATRE 7522 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (back room of Meltdown Comics)/Sign-up 7:15PM/Starts 7:30PM/lottery/30 spots available/no purchase necessary
TSUNAMEDY @ TRIBAL CAFE 1651 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA (Echo Park)/Sign-up 8PM/Starts 9PM/first come, first served/mixed mic
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed/bottled water and coffee available
10) As reporting of Carmeggedon continues, people are calling the 405 the main freeway in LA. That’s bullshit. The 10 gets no respect? If you want a real Carmeggedon shut down the 10 freeway between the 405 and the 110. (I obviously drive too much and think about these things)
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau