Morning Debriefing 1/10/11
1) I couldn’t get into ASSSSCAT last night at the UCB as there was over 100 people waiting along Franklin Ave. to watch live comedy. Great for live comedy in LA, for me, well…. Either way, I headed down to Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, which is something you’ll hear more about later today (yes, that means a review) and a comedy institution (an independent stand up show that’s on its 4th year running) you should never miss. Also, I’m going to take a break from some of my normal tendencies and be positive on some thoughts on where the LA comedy scene is headed.
3) Comedy Death Ray on IFC w/Scott Aukerman and friends is ON tonight. 10PM. If you choose to stay in, this is what you should do.
5) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL is like a Publisher’s Clearing House Sweepstakes for free, awesome live comedy.
What’s Up Tiger Lily @ Hollywood Studio Bar & Grill 8PM FREE
Are You F*#king Kidding Me? @ Puka Bar 8:30PM FREE
Stand Up Saloon @ Old Towne Pub 10PM FREE
Keep It Clean @ 1739 Public House 10PM FREE
6) OPEN MIC RUN:
CLUB 705 705 Pier Ave., Hermosa Beach, CA/Starts 7PMish/10 min.
SPEAKEASY @ HARLEM PLACE CAFE 124 W. 4th St. (in alley between Main and Spring St.)/Starts 8PM/optional sign-up via e-mail: email@example.com
TRIBAL CAFE 1651 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA (Echo Park)/Starts 8:30PM
GROUND ZERO USC 615 Childs Way, Los Angeles, CA (nestled in between three dormitories near intersection of Exposition Blvd and Figueroa St.)/USC student sign-up 9PM/non-USC student sign-up 9:15PM/Starts 9:30PM/7 min.
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel, past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed
5) The Comedy Bureau “Tips Its Hat” today to CHRIS D’ELIA-“@chrisdelia Saying "I’m into astrology” is basically like saying “Some things I say don’t matter.” When it comes to Chris D’Elia, he only does two things: He goes up and he kills. Performing at some major club in LA nearly every night, Chris is almost a “comedy machine”, though he’s anything but robotic. Catch him on Glory Daze on TBS or Twitter or at his website.
6) From the “You Should Have Been There” Lagoon: Travis Lipski and Harleys
7) People are recognizing the “Comedy Bureau” on the streets. Well… have comics become people again or is the jury still out on that one?
THE COMEDY BUREAU