Post Brunch Update 12/19/10
1) This American Mistake @ Meltdown Comics was a spectacular showcase of why the relatively brand new form of comedy, “the podcast”, has become so wildly popular. Likened more to an actual conversation as opposed to someone telling straight jokes to you, audiences/listeners are eased into a wildly entertaining spectacle in a podcast that’s largely more relatable than straight stand-up or sketch. Last night, The Biggest Mistake,
gave the audience at Meltdown Comics a great display as to the uniqueness and inherent hilarity, not only of the idea of a podcast, but within themselves. With interviews and funny insights into pornography in the Morning After Podcast (Jake Weisman and Eli Olsberg), a fantastic parody of NPR in This American Wife (Eric Martin et al), and the naturally hysterical dynamic between Paul Jay, Dan Dominguez, and Jen Goldberg on the Biggest Mistake, any person in LA and around the world can enjoy some laughs in a new and more personable way. Also, to my own personal delight, accessing these three podcasts will be made even easier as Jen Goldberg announced the birth of an “unstoppable force” of a podcast network, “Take That America”. More details on “Take That America” will be featured here as they come along. In addition to that “podcast trifecta” “performing” last night, this LIVE edition of these podcasts featured some early Christmas treats in special guest stand-up performances from Dave Ross,
and “the man of the hour” himself: Paul Jay.
Basically, don’t miss out on any of these podcasts and definitely don’t miss out on LIVE editions of podcasts. The Comedy Bureau will try to make sure that doesn’t happen.
2) I can’t stress enough how much tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL in however many dimensions we agree reality is actually represented in will be better than Tron 3D. Start with Eban Schletter’s Cosmic Christmas @ Glendale Planetarium 5PM/7PM $10/$5 children under 12, then Adam Carolla @ Irvine Improv 7PM $30/2 item min., then Bill Burr @ Brea Improv 7PM $20/2 item min., then Laugh, Drink, Repeat w/Kyle Kinane @ Flappers YooHoo Room 7PM $10/2 drink min., then ASSSSCAT @ UCB Theatre 7:30PM FREE, then Trick: Part Deux @ Bordello Bar 8PM FREE, then French Toast @ Taix 8:30PM FREE, then Top Story Weekly @ iO West 9PM $5, and finish with a warm Christmas hot chocolate and Last Call Comedy @ Irvine Improv 9PM $15/2 item min.
3) OPEN MIC RUN: PALMS 8572 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM, SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 6PM, SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min., MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/5PM to 11PM/$5/multiple sets allowed.
4) In case you throw your cares about the rain in LA to the wind and missed Maria Bamford on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, it’s on the link before these eight words.
5) The incredibly popular Casey’s Open Mic on Mondays is no longer as is one of the longest running open mics in LA, Michael’s Pub, out in the valley. Please abstain from taking a moment from silence and take comedian/Ogre Mage’s bass player Jeff Watenhofer’s advice: If you do go to Casey’s [or Michael’s] again, please ask about the open mic, and upon hearing it no longer happens, put a $100 bill BACK into your wallet and leave without saying anything.
6) The Comedy Bureau “Tip Its Hat” today to STEVE SCHNEIDER-“@stvschndr My faith in humankind cannot survive the fact that people willingly eat at Panda Express.” Insightful and subversive in his writing and performance, Steve Schneider is one of the more clever comics on the LA comedy scene despite him only being booked once this year. Follow him on Twitter and check back at the Comedy Bureau for details on where you can see him next.
7) From the “You Should Have Been There” Lagoon: Harland Williams at the Yuk Yuk’s 25th Anniversary
9) Performing, writing, and writing about comedy almost forgot made me about christmas shopping, I mean… thoughtful letter writing to family because I can’t afford Christmas discount prices at Target right now.
THE COMEDY BUREAU