Morning Debriefing 2/8/11
1) WARNING: the premiere of Larry the Cable Guy’s History Channel show, “Only in America is premiering tonight at 9PM EST. The only reason I mention this is so I have an excuse to post the trailer to the upcoming alt/indie concert film Tell Your Friends!!! another time (not that I really needed an excuse).
2) The editors to the fake news institution The Onion are in town and speaking into a mic and perhaps you should go see it, especially if you’re by UCLA and have some extra cash (via @danforthfrance).
3) You should thank Joel Mandelkorn first (@cleftclips) then buy tickets to the show he produces: The Super Serious Show BECAUSE next Thurs. Feb 17th, they have Dana Gould (former writer for the Simpsons), Andés DuBouchet (current writer on Conan), a video from Brent Weinbach and Moshe Kasher, A Kiss From Daddy, AND Jimmy Pardo!!! (and even more, not to mention fantastic free microbrew beer). Tickets are $10 presale and $15, so I think you should click the link and buy a ticket and feel better about yourself.
4) So how do you kick off a new season to an already awesome podcast with Eddie Pepitone, Sean Conroy, Amber Kenny, and Jamie Flam on it? Answer: You have Patton Oswalt on it. Episode #301 of the Long Shot Podcast.
5) Tonight’s COMEDY CRAWL-If you have a planner, get rid of it….
Character Sprint Showcase @ UCB Theatre 5:45PM FREE
Tag Team Stand Up @ Palms Bar 7:30PM
Drunk on Stage @ Akbar 8PM FREE
Biscuits and Gravy @ Hollywood Improv Lab 8:30PM $5
Comedy Death Ray @ UCB Theatre 8:30PM $5 (stand by only)
Blamblamblam 3 Year Anniversary @ R-Bar 9PM FREE
6) OPEN MIC RUN 2/8/11
BACK HOME IN LAHAINA 519 Carson St., Carson, CA #A/Sign-up 6PM/Starts 7PM,
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE TOKYO @ SEÑOR FISH 422 E. 1st, Los Angeles, CA (downtown)/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM
COFFEE GALLERY 2029 Lake Ave., Altadena, CA/Starts 8PM
WESTWOOD BREWCO 1097 Glendon Ave., Westwood, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 7:30PM/Starts 8PM
7) Recently: Next Big Comic on CMT, a competition for stand up comedians features two people who just aired their Comedy Central Presents specials, which, to me, looks like a "Presents Special” gets you to a competition on another niche cable channel instead of another special.
8) OK, I got heckled last night. A woman said to me, “You know you have 7 minutes, right?” in reference to her distaste of a story I’m working on and I took the high road by getting a laugh at the end, but I felt so much better when the “artist” she came to support was a spoken word poet who asked, “What if blue wasn’t blue? What if it was purple?”
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau