Finally, there will be weekly stand-up comedy back at Nerdmelt at Meltdown Comics on Wednesdays. The revered slot once held by Meltdown with Jonah & Kumail, then briefly held by Rabbit Hole with Jay Larson and Rory Scovel, will now be taken over by Woman Crush Wednesdays with Marcella Arguello.
Hence the title, a variety of the funniest women around will be featured on Wednesdays with Marcella leading the charge.
Get your tickets to the inaugural edition of Women Crush Wednesdays for this Wednesday here.
The rest of our listings for comedy shows, events, open mics, maps, and more can be found at www.thecomedybureau.com
Funny or Die Gets One Over On The Internet With Dennis Quaid On-Set Freak Out
Funny or Die pulled a great post April Fool’s Day prank by manufacturing an on-set meltdown with Dennis Quaid that people either thought was real or was the work of Jimmy Kimmel Live and company, then revealing a damn clever full video “explaining” what happened.
Good call on FoD for waiting after April 1st for maximum effect.
Oh Yeah, Here’s The Whole Rory Scovel Crowd Surfing Bit at Meltdown
The Sheriff of Nottingham/James Adomian Searches The Meltdown for Robin Hood
Whether or not you’re familiar with the amazing comedy of James Adomian, his turn as the Sheriff of Nottingham who interrupts comedy shows exclusively to look for Robin Hood and also try to keep up the perception that he “isn’t” a gay villain stereotype is something that absolutely needs to be seen.
The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail Premieres Tonight on Comedy Central
After years of amazing shows in the actual back room of a comic book store, Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail will be premiering as a TV series on Comedy Central tonight.
Clear out whatever you’re doing at 12:30AM to Comedy Central and make sure you’re watching what’s been one of the best comedy shows in LA ever since it started.
As with the regular live show, artist Dave Kloc made an amazing poster for the premiere episode.
Morning Debriefing 6/30/11
1) Watch comedic brilliance by Jon Dore & Rory Scovel on Conan. Oh yeah, they might do the same thing at Meltdown Comics on August 11th.
2) Want to be on a “High School Talent Show”?
Hot House, which normally hosts a fantastic “secret” comedy show, is putting the 3rd Annual Hot House High School Talent Show. Already, it’s half booked, but if you’re interested, the show is on Thurs. July 21st 8PM and they’re looking to book all types of variety/comedy/character acts of varying lengths – but – no stand up (unless it is part of a larger character piece).
The basic theme of the night is the show takes place in a High School Auditorium hosted by the Vice Principal of Affairs. Talent must decide up front whether to play a Student or an Administrator. And all acts should be between thirty seconds to three minutes (five if there is a real need) And let us know the general concept beforehand.
Nothing is too small or too stupid. Please email email@example.com if interested.
3) So Café Muse, to those comedians that put up with its open mic or shows, is now gone. No more comedy will take place within its walls despite it being next door to the Comedy Central Stages. We’re frankly surprised that it lasted this long as every time we’ve been there something along the lines of a frustrated white kid in his late 20’s would ask anyone who was black to be his black friend 5 minutes over the light would happen.
4) Don’t follow @MitziShore. It’s not her. Besides, gaining favor with her and an audition to be passed at the Comedy Store is a whole lot harder than just getting a fake account of her to follow you on Twitter.
9) COMEDY CRAWL
The Conan O’Brien Writers Retrospective @ Cinefamily 7:45PM $12
Comedy 90210 @ Roxbury Cafe 8PM $5
1642 Comedy Social Club @ 1642 Beer & Wine 8:30PM FREE
The Josh & Josh Show @ Bar Lubitsch 8:30PM FREE
Mr. Napkins Big Show @ Westside Comedy Theater 9PM FREE
Loose Meat @ UCB Theatre 9:30PM $5
Persona! @ Hollywood Improv Lab 10PM $5
Love Machine Comedy Show @ M Bar 10PM $5
Paul Danke & Cornell Reid Live Tweet a Movie @PaulDanke & @Corneezy 10PM FREE
10) OPEN MIC RUN
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA 6PM/$4 minimum/first come, first served
COFEE BEAN 16101 Ventura Blvd., Encino, CA, Suite 180/Starts 7PM/mixed mic/no purchase necessary
SANDWICH SPOT 3101 Ocean Park Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served
CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served/10 min.
CAFE UNURBAN 3301 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 9PM/No purchase necessary
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel, past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served/coffee and bottled water available
11) I tried defending Tree of Life to my sister and mother who sat through it with me and the best I could come up with was, “Well, it’s best if you don’t try to figure it out.” Now, if I only could write jokes that work like that.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau
Morning Debriefing 6/1/11
1) Due to underwhelming traffic, we, here at the Comedy Bureau, got the hint, so the Morning Debriefing is back (though it will probably never be posted in the official “morning”).
2) The Los Angeles Comedy Festival is accepting submissions for their 10th edition taking place this fall. More details to follow soon.
3) Check out comedy podcasting hub Earwolf’s new site! A fantastic thing got pretty damn fantastic!!!
4) Kyle Cease has a new video to push a self-help brand of comedy on his “Wake the Hell Up Comedy Tour” [via Punchline]. "He’s doing something pretty new in comedy. He’s using it to get a point across.“-testimonial from girl who has obviously not watched Bill Hicks or any number of comedians. It’s only a matter of time until a parody comes out.
5) Brand new to Conan: The Pardo Patrol. Let’s hope this becomes an actual regular segment on Conan.
6) Behind the story of Camp Crystal Lake, you’ll find Tom McCaffrey, Barry Rothbart, Matt Fulchiron keeping the camp open despite Jason killing more people. This video should be the next installment/re-boot of the Jason franchise.
8) COMEDY CRAWL
Greg Proops: Smartest Man in the World @ Bar Lubitsch 7PM FREE
If This Doesn’t Work, I’m Moving Home @ Harlem Place Cafe 8PM FREE
A Kiss From Daddy/Birthday Boys @ UCB Theatre 8PM $5 (stand by only)
Sometimes, Even the Devil Tells The Truth @ Comedy Central Stages (6539 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, CA) 8PM FREE RSVP at (323) 960-5519
Meltdown @ Nerdist Theater (back room of Meltdown Comics) 8:30PM $8
The Wong Show @ Hollywood Improv Lab 8:30PM $10 adv/$15 at door
The Ed Galvez Punk House @ Westside Comedy Theater 9PM $8
Frolic! @ Far Bar 9PM FREE
Beer in the Shower @ Whitehorse Cocktail Lounge Inn 9:30PM FREE
What’s You Say @ Hollywood Improv Lab 10:30PM $6
9) OPEN MIC RUN
THE SPOT CAFE 4455 Overland Ave., Culver City, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 7PM
CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 7PM/Starts 7:30PM/$3 cover/10 min. guarantee
CAFE MUSE 6547 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 8PM
LIBRARY A COFFEE HOUSE 3418 Broadway, Long Beach, CA/Sign-up 8PM/Starts 8:30PM
10) You’re welcome.
THE COMEDY BUREAU/@thecomedybureau
THIS IS SATURDAY!!!
It’ll be a lot of fun. If you go to THE MELTDOWN tonight, you’ll get a discounted ticket to this event.
Click through for tickets!!!