Morning Debriefing 8/29/11
1) MTV’s scripted horror-comedy series Death Valley premieres tonight and definitely shows some promise and a welcome spin on the “emo-monster genre” that has dominated entertainment over the last 5 years. Let’s give it a chance and watch (10:30PM MTV).
We’re also sad that Everything had to come to an end.
3) Our good friends over at RE:COM Magazine have come out with their latest issue, which we have indeed posted about, but needs to be heard about more in any way possible. It’s really that great and insightful and full of articles about the cutting edge of comedy and yes, we have a piece in there too. Buy one or download a digital copy.
4) Well, that’s just wonderful.
6) The Laughter Against the Machine Tour with W. Kamau Bell, Janine Brito, and Nato Green only has 11 days left to reach their Kickstarter goal. If you don’t have money to donate, you can always tell others that do.
7) Laughspin posted a list of the 11 of the funniest stories told by comedians today and while it’s a solid list, we feel the likes of Sean Patton, Kumail Nanjiani, Margot Leitman, Pete Holmes, Moshe Kasher, Marc Maron, and Giulia Rozzi were left out. Also, who could forget the Paul F. Tompkins legendary story about meeting the smallest man in the world Michu on his album Impersonal.
9) ON THE HORIZON
Comedy at FYF Fest @ LA State Historic Park Sat. Sept. 3rd 12PM $40
10) COMEDY CRAWL
Brink of Extinction w/Bryan Coffee @ Steve Allen Theater 8PM $10
What’s Up Tiger Lily?-3 Year Anniversary for Jazz @ Hollywood Studio Bar & Grill 8PM FREE
Garfunkel @ Oates @ Largo at the Coronet Theatre 9PM $25
Keep It Clean @ 1739 Public House 10PM FREE
Crash Test @ UCB Theatre 11PM $5
10) OPEN MIC RUN
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA/Starts 6PM/$4 min./first come, first served
CLUB 705 705 Pier Ave., Hermosa Beach, CA/Starts 7PM-ish/no purchase necessary/first come, first served
RED ROCK 8782 W. Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served
TRIBAL CAFE 1651 W. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA/Starts 8PM/no purchase necessary/first come, first served
JAKE’S 38 W. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA/Starts 8PM/Sign-up is lottery/no purchase necessary
GROUND ZERO USC 615 Childs Way, Los Angeles, CA (USC Campus)/nestled between three adjacent dorms approximately one block N. of Figueroa & Exposition/USC student sign-up 9PM/Non-USC student sign-up 9:15PM/first come, first served/7 min./no purchase necessary
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/bottled water and coffee provided
12) Watched 3 comedy shows back to back to back on Saturday. Yeah, I’m not doing that for awhile.