Morning Debriefing 9/15/11
2) Here’s an explanation on how to get listed on Witstream. It’s odd how close this is to getting passed a comedy club.
5) The Laughter Against the Machine Tour starts off their tour by missing their plane while waiting at the actual departure gate. Oddly enough, we also kept forgetting to post this…
6) “If there were a late-night comedy show completely run by comedy writers, without any interference from a host, producer, or network, that show would probably be called The Darkest and Most Impossibly Horrible Things You Can Imagine, Presented as Comedy. Every sketch would end with a gunshot or an infant’s stroller engulfed in flames, and the show would be canceled halfway through its opening titles. That’s because most comedy writers are so inured by humor that only the most shockingly toxic ideas can achieve the proper velocity to penetrate their indifference.”
-Todd Levin, staff writer on Conan, in Good Magazine
Oh, if only the key dems that networks and studios go for just upped their sophistication in humor so such a scenario could happen.
8) Will Ferrell will be the next recipient of the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. One can’t help but ponder Twain’s thoughts on “the Landlord” and its reflection on the American renter.
9) COMEDY CRAWL
The Super Serious Show w/Paul F. Tompkins @ Smashbox Studios 7PM $15
Red Sandwich’s Saddest Show Ever @ UCB Theatre 8PM $5 (stand by only)
The Hot House Comedy Show @ Hot House 8PM FREE (invite only)
Sarah Silverman & Friends @ Largo at the Coronet Theatre 8:30PM $25 (sold out, tickets may be available)
The Josh & Josh Show @ Bar Lubistch 8:30PM FREE
3rd Thursday Comedy Series @ Ruskin Group Theatre 9PM FREE
Odd Thursdays @ The Palace Restaurant 9PM FREE
Mapping the Heavens @ UCB Theatre 9:30PM $5 (stand by only)
Live at Carnegie Hall* @ Hollywood Hotel 10PM FREE
10) OPEN MIC RUN
SAL’S COMEDY HOLE 7356 Melrose Ave., Hollywood, CA 6PM/$4 minimum/first come, first served
ZAPATA VIVE 101 S. First Ave., Arcadia, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/20 spots available/5 min.
COFEE BEAN 16101 Ventura Blvd., Encino, CA, Suite 180/Starts 7PM/mixed mic/no purchase necessary
SANDWICH SPOT 3101 Ocean Park Ave., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served
CAFE ON 2ND 7 S. 2nd St., Alhambra, CA/Sign-up 6:30PM/Starts 7PM/first come, first served/10 min.
SUNSET GRILL 7439 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA/Starts 7PM/one item min.
CAFE UNURBAN 3301 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA/Sign-up (lottery) 9PM/No purchase necessary
DANGERFIELD’S 2 2860 Glenview Ave., Los Angeles, CA/Sign-up 9PM/Starts after booked portion/no purchase necessary
MARTY’S/THE OPEN MIC 7351 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA (walk up Martel, past Big Mama’s and Papa’s)/5PM to 11PM/$5 min./multiple sets allowed/first come, first served/coffee and bottled water available
11) If you’re a comic and you’re JUST going up at open mics/shows and NOT watching comedy, I guarantee you that the majority of your material has probably been done.